Overdoses have lowered the life expectancy in the United States for two years in a row. The leading cause — opioids. This epidemic has spread through every sector of our country, destroying lives as parents, friends, families, and those entrapped by opioids struggle to find help.
The opioids epidemic is dire, but there are answers — and recovery is real.
Dr. Charles Atkins, well-known opioids addiction expert, brings together current research, emerging therapies, and non-drug and integrative strategies in a practical guide for both professionals and the public.
– Why a “one-size-fits-all approach” to addiction doesn’t work for opioid-use disorders
– Recognizing the signs – when chronic-pain management turns into addiction
– Whole-person treatment plans to help manage craving, cope with stress, and avoid relapse
– How Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) can save lives
– Opioids across the lifecycle from infants to older adults
– Real stories of recovery, and at times, loss